EDIT - Spring season start is postponed to April 9.
Spring soccer starts a bit early this year! The first game is scheduled for this Sunday, April 9. The season will run thru June 11.
Teams are being setup and finalized now. You should get an email welcoming your child to her or his new team by Sunday. If you don't get it by then, contact the league, as you may not be registered properly.
We still have spots available, but there will be a strict limit on the number of players accepted and remaining kids will be wait listed. If you have not registered yet, you should do it asap. If you know somebody who would like to play, please let them know that they need to register now.
You can register here:
If you are interested in coaching, please contact me. I still need several!
The SeasonWe will have a 10 game season this Spring. All U9 games will be on Sunday mornings.
Every team will have a fixed time slot. Most teams will play from 12:00 thru 1:45. "UpTeams" will play mostly from 10:30 thru 12:00.
The last game will be June 11, weather permitting.
The BlogThis Blog will be the primary source of information for schedules, cancellations, etc. Feel free to use the comments to discuss the league and let us know what we can do to improve any aspect of U9 Soccer.
Cancellations due to weather will be posted to the blog... please check it within an hour of the start time on game-day morning. If you do not have access to the internet on Sunday mornings, please let me know.
Parents will need to supply...
- If you already have the correct uniform color, please use it. If not, the league will supply a shirt, shorts and socks on the first day
- Appropriate shoes. We'll play on real grass, cleats are recommended (but are not required)
- Shin pads are required. Your child may be excluded from the game if this important piece of safety equipment is not used.
- Players must come to the game with their own size 4 ball with the players name on it
- Long pants and long sleeved shirts may be worn under the team uniform if desired
- Water - for frequent breaks
- A snack for between the practice and game may be desired
- Players must not wear earrings during the practice or game
- Parents must remain at the field with their children during the entire session
Our PhilosophyAt the U9 level we continue focusing on basic skills, and begin incorporating more of the basic rules into the experience.
Our primary focus remains providing a fun and healthy environment for the kids to discover their emerging soccer skills. We do not focus on winning. We don't keep official score, celebrate wins, or mourn losses. We strive for every player to get equal playing time, and try to keep the number of players on the field small in order to maximize opportunities to play. We reward skillful play, good attitudes and sportsmanship.
Here are some additional notes about the U9 format:
- For this outdoor session we will play 5v5 plus a goalie. We will use the bigger nets. Coaches may decide to change the structure as needed for a fun and fulfilling game depending on attendance.
- Coaches may decide to balance teams at game time if there is a need to equalize the number of players on each team.
- Substitutions should be made when play stops and should occur approximately every 5 - 10 minutes
- We will play with throw-ins, goalie kicks and corner kicks.
- The game will start with a kick-off at the center, as will the second half of the game
- After each goal, the team scored upon will start again by kicking-off at center. A successful kick-off means that the ball needs to roll 1 revolution forward and be touched by another player
- Hand balls result in an INDIRECT kick to the opposing side
- No slide-tackling allowed, results in an INDIRECT kick to the opposing side
- No pushing with the arms or hands allowed, results in an INDIRECT kick to the opposing side
- No tripping from behind allowed, results in an INDIRECT kick to the opposing side
- No checking with hips allowed, results in an INDIRECT kick to opposing side
- No off-sides called
- The coaches may decide to break for half-time
We are trying out a new concept this season. We are consolidating the most skilled players in the U9 league on to 2 teams, called "Up Teams". We have a few objectives with this change. Foremost is to improve the experience for all players in the age group. We aim to avoid the blowout situations that can arise, and to avoid the poor experience of teams who are not balanced to compete. Secondly, we want to provide the emerging players some space to discover their own capabilities. Finally, we want to provide a competitive environment for the players who have already found a high level of sill and passion for soccer.
The Up Teams will not play against the regular teams. Instead, they will play mainly against each other and possibly some visiting teams.
Basic Rules for Parents
- Players must play within their designated age group.
- Players must play on the team they have been assigned to. Requests for specific teams will be honored if availability permits. Requests made close to the start of the season are often hard or impossible to accomodate for.
- At least one adult supervisor must stay during the entire session and is responsible for watching kids if they wander away from play
- Parent involvement is appreciated and encouraged when appropriate but please try not to interfere with the session
- Due to insurance rules players who are not registered with the league cannot play
- Players must not wear jewelry such as earrings, watches, necklaces, etc.
Pine Banks Field
All games will be played at Pine Banks Field. We will use the field inside the track with natural grass turf, at the corner of Main St. and Sylvan St.