The winter session begins this Sunday, January 21. The session will run for 10 weeks until March 25.
We still have spots available, but there will be a strict limit on the number of players accepted and remaining kids will be wait listed. If you have not registered yet, you should do it asap. If you know somebody who would like to play, please let them know that they need to register now.
You can register here:
The SeasonWe will have an 10 game season this Fall. All U9 games will be on Sunday mornings at from 11:30 to 12:55 each week.
The BlogThis Blog will be the primary source of information for schedules, cancellations, etc.
Cancellations due to weather will be posted to the blog... please check it within an hour of the start time on game-day morning. If you do not have access to the internet on Sunday mornings, please let me know.
Parents will need to supply...
- Appropriate shoes. We'll play on a gym floor. Please come with clean dry gym shoes.
- Shin pads are required. Your child may be excluded from the game if this important piece of safety equipment is not used.
- Players must come to the game with their own size 4 ball with the players name on it
- Water - for frequent breaks
- A snack for between the practice and game may be desired
- Players must not wear any jewelry (earrings, watches, etc.) during the practice or game
- Parents must remain at the field with their children during the entire session
U9 will not use colored uniforms this winter session. Pinnys will be provided by the coaches.
Our PhilosophyAt the U9 level we continue focusing on basic skills, and begin incorporating more of the basic rules into the experience.
Our primary focus remains providing a fun and healthy environment for the kids to discover their emerging soccer skills. We do not focus on winning. We don't keep official score, celebrate wins, or suffer from losses. We strive for every player to get equal playing time, and try to keep the number of players on the field small in order to maximize opportunities to play. We reward skillful play, good attitudes and sportsmanship.
Adults, please try to keep this in mind. If you see a player on a team opposing your child's team, and that player is exceptionally good... please try to celebrate that skill as opposed to trying to suppress it. All players develop at different rates, and at this age, some kids really stand out. This is a good thing, try to not take offense by it.
Here are some additional notes about the U9 format:
- For this indoor session we will play small sided games 3v3 or 4v4 depending on attendance. We may choose to omit the goalie and play with smaller pug nets. Coaches will decide on the final format each game.
- Coaches may decide to balance teams at game time if there is a need to equalize the number of players on each team.
- Substitutions should be made when play stops and should occur approximately every 5 - 10 minutes
- We will play goalie kicks and corner kicks but will allow play to continue off the walls
- The game will start with a kick-off at the center, as will the second half of the game
- After each goal, the team scored upon will start again by kicking-off at center. A successful kick-off means that the ball needs to roll 1 revolution forward and be touched by another player
- Hand balls result in an INDIRECT kick to the opposing side
- No slide-tackling allowed, results in an INDIRECT kick to the opposing side
- No pushing with the arms or hands allowed, results in an INDIRECT kick to the opposing side
- No tripping from behind allowed, results in an INDIRECT kick to the opposing side
- No checking with hips allowed, results in an INDIRECT kick to opposing side
- No off-sides called
- The coaches may decide to break for half-time
Basic Rules for Parents
- Players must play within their assigned team.
- Players must play on the team they have been assigned to. Requests for specific teams will be honored if availability permits. Requests made close to the start of the season are often hard or impossible to accomodate for.
- At least one adult supervisor must stay during the entire session and is responsible for watching kids if they wander away from play
- Parent involvement is appreciated and encouraged when appropriate but please try not to interfere with the session
- Due to insurance rules players who are not registered with the league cannot play
- Players must not wear jewelry such as earrings, watches, necklaces, etc.
Be sure to note the time you play each week... it changes!
Salemwood School Gym
We will play indoors at the Salemwood School in Malden at 529 Salem St, Malden, MA 02148.